Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chocolat

My brother from Singapore gave me a block of dark chocolate recently. It was from a Spanish specialty chocolatier called Chocolat Factory. The packing is very unique and modern - looking more like an art box then chocolate. Once you open it up, the chocolate is wrapped in a nice grease-proof paper, and the chocolate block had a "bite" which is part of the brand image. The small bite you see at the corner is a real bite - I couldn't wait to try before taking the pic.

The taste of the chocolate is really intense - like 10 blocks of chocolate had been condensed into one. It also had floral notes which are quite unique. I guess this is the "terroir" which people have been talking about in artisanal chocolate - like in wine where you can taste the different regions where the grapes are grown.

I can never claim to be able to differentiate between different "terroir". All I can tell is whether something is bad, good or great ! I can honestly say that the chocolate from Chocolat Factory is great, and can't wait to try their different products. They have a shop at the new Changi Airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment