Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eating in Chiang Mai - Lunch at Kafe Bar & Restaurant

As I started my walk in Chiang Mai Old Town, it suddenly began to drizzle. Since it was lunch time, I decided to take shelter some place where I could grab a bite. Kafe Bar & Restaurant happened to be nearby and it looked interesting, so I gave it a try.

As I entered the place, I realized it was geared more towards tourists. The menu had an endless list of both local and western dishes. An overly long menu is usually a bad sign - either they don't know what kind of restaurant they want to be, or the kitchen has no chance of mastering any of the items offered.


Since this was my first meal in Chiang Mai, I decided to stick with the Thai dishes. I ordered the Khao Soi, Deep Fried Pork Ribs and an iced coffee.

I've read quite a lot about Khao Soi - the popular Chiang Mai curry noodle. Some devotees like it so much it borders on obsession. This was my first taste of it - and I liked it a lot. Basically noodles in a light curry gravy, with strips of chicken and topped with crispy noodles. The curry gravy is very aromatic, not too spicy and slightly sweet. Like the Kuching Laksa, I could probably eat this every day.


The Khao Soi came with a side serving of some pickles and a chili paste. You could add the chili to the Khao Soi to spike up the heat.


The Deep Fried Pork Ribs were also good. Very simply marinated, the ribs were tender and had the clean sweet taste of fresh pork.


All in a good first taste of Chiang Mai, and in a touristy place to boot. Kafe B&R has a laid back and cozy feel to it. Good place for a light snack - recommended. It is located at Moon Muang Road near Tha Phae Gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment