Thursday, November 20, 2008

Eating in Brisbane

I was in Brisbane to attend a convention, so did not have much opportunity to sample the culinary delights of Brisbane. Most meals were had at the convention venue - lunch was mostly salad and sandwiches, dinners were a bit better. 

One thing I must always have when I visit Australia is the roast pork. The roast pork at Melbourne's Myers Food Hall used to be a favourite. Sadly Myers has decided to do away with the food hall. I was wondering around the foodcourts in Brisbane looking to satisfy my roast pork craving. Luckily I didn't have to wonder for long. I found a stall selling what I was looking for. And it was good ! The meat was tender and flavourful, and the crackling was crunchy and satisfying. You can see they are a bit stingy with the crackling though. I already had the bigger piece before taking the photo. Couldn't resist !

This was the foodcourt where I found the roast pork. They also had some nice pastry stalls.

Another good meal I had was a lobster fried noodle. Australian lobster is always great, and this was no exception. The lobster so fresh and tasty, the chef didn't really have to do much except make sure it's not overcooked.

The Gala Dinner at the convention was the highlight of the entire event. The food was quite good. Appetizer was a Tian of Roasted Vegetables.

The Main Course was Poached Chicken with a Chili Coulis. Though simple, the chicken was cooked to perfection. The chili coulis gave it a bit of Asian touch.

Dessert was a White Chocolate Mouse with Strawberry Coulis.

The table decor was quite nice. Makes you want to get rid of the suit and tie and party on the beach ! Thankfully the dinner was over quite fast and I could remove the suit and get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment